The South African government declared a national disaster on 15th March and banned travel to the most-affected countries, amid concerns that coronavirus will derail the economic recovery. Kenya has also imposed sweeping travel restrictions.
African countries are transforming themselves by learning from Ebola, says Elsie Kanza, Head of Africa at the World Economic Forum.
While young adults seem to suffer less with the virus, we could still see the increased strain on healthcare systems. Restricting the spread of the virus will be important.
The African Centre for Disease Control – the pan-African authority on public health created to respond to Ebola – has been supporting countries with the repurposing of screenings, surveillance systems and isolation wards for COVID-19. 43 countries can currently test for the virus.
Economically, there are multiple concerns, says Kanza. “With a global market slowdown, governments are likely to be looking at how to protect the economy from the impact of the spread of this virus.”
“We are likely to see a temporary hit due to the slowdown of European markets – a major trading partner for Africa – but the good news is that China’s factories are starting to switch back on and this could mitigate lasting damage.”
Join Us On WhatsApp & Telegram Group For Regular Updates
- Measures Taken By Asian Countries To Contain The Outbreak Of Coronavirus
- Measures Taken by American Countries To Contain The Outbreak Of Coronavirus
- Measures Taken By Europe To Contain The Outbreak Of Coronavirus
- Kashmir Reports 1st Death Due to Coronavirus
- Private Hospitals To Treat COVID-19 From Tomorrow
- What is Hantavirus and How does it spread
- India to Be Under Complete Lockdown For 21 Days Starting Midnight
- Sounds of Bells, Claps, Plates, Conches and Crackers Reverberated Through “Janata Curfew” as India Thanks Its Heroes
- India lockdowns affect more than 750 million people
- Coronavirus Death Toll crosses 11875 Globally
- Total Number Of Confirmed Coronavirus Cases In India At 294
- India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi announces “Janta Curfew” on 22nd March
- How to Prepare for Coronavirus and What You Should Buy
- Boya M1 Lavalier Microphone Get Better Audio With The Multi-Functional
- SANDISK CRUZER BLADE 32GB USB FLASH DRIVE
- Pigeon Handy Mini Chopper with 3 Blades – One Of The Best Vegetable Chopper In India